Road trip planning guide with day trip ideas by car, motorcycle, bicycle, or RV, highlighting vacation stays at beautiful Bluegreen Resorts.

"A man who couldn't make things go right could at least go." - W. Least Heat-Moon, Blue Highways

What Your Orlando Vacation Deserves: A Surprising Little Escape Route

Orlando is the last place I'd think of for a vacation road trip, but after days of trekking through theme parks, I'm usually ready for a side trip to clear my mind. 

When I hear a call to the open road that involves pedaling under my own power,  an October stay at Bluegreen Resorts The Fountains is the getaway I order up. 


I usually reserve a couple of days from my theme park agenda to head 25 miles northwest to Mt. Dora for Florida's oldest and largest bicycle festival, and this year will mark the 36th held so far.  Dates for the 2010 event are October 7 - 10, and so now's a great time for me to start planning.

The bicycle festival features two days of supported rides, 11 in total, ranging from 25 to 100 miles.  A third day of riding lets me do my own thing and take to the road in my own good time.  There's a lot to see in this historic town, the Antique Capital of Florida.  I like visiting the thriving arts community, browsing rows of quaint shops and unique restaurants, historic homes, cultural events, as well as taking in some of Florida's best views.  At 184 feet above sea level, Mt. Dora is about as close to a mountaintop view as you'll get in Florida. 

A walking or even a Segway Tour can easily be added to a Orlando vacation side trip, and if you decide this is the kind of getaway for you,  you can thank me for the break from the hustle of Disney and Universal later. 

After a nice ride through the town and a relaxing dip in the pool at The Fountains, I'm recharged and ready to wrestle the Orlando attractions. 



Photo credit:  Bluegreen ColorfulPlaces

Resources:
What To Do In Mt. Dora
Mt. Dora Chamber of Commerce
Guided Segway Tours
Mt. Dora Bicycle Ride - Astatula Hills
Bicycle Rentals - Mount Dora Cycles


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP